Distribuir contenido

Open Jobs at GoMe

177 respuestas [Último envío]
Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008

Thank you Kalypso. Know I now where I am and how everyone fits together. I thought there would have been more people involved than that. :shock: Is there are alot more with Cavern Criers and Relayers?

Take care

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger
se unió: Oct 29 2007

Technically, there are a lot of people involved in the GoMe. :D They just don't post here. I'm just stating the ones who post on this forum. The way the GoMe works is that contrary to the other Guilds where they had to build the Guild from scratch, the Guild is made of several news organizations(some have existed for years) who affiliate themselves with the GoMe in the last few months. Each affiliate is highly autonomous and they do their own thing on their own, using their own forums. Those who post here are likely to be the key people in each organization and through them they can be the link between the big GoMe and their organization. The GoMe don't tell the organizations what to do but provides them with services, help and opportunities of cooperation. I suggest you to visit each affiliates website to learn more about them and find out who are a part of them. As an example, here is the page of the crew of the TCT:

http://www.thecaverntoday.org/?go=team

Ideally, it would be great if each messenger would take the time to make their organization and the GoMe stronger. But only giving time to the organization is fine also.
There are a lot to say about how we all came to the GoMe but that is the best short answer I can give you. If you have more questions, don't hesitate. The history of the GoMe could be a 100 pages book!
ps: The Relayers are not officially members of the GoMe... an other very complicated thing. LOL

Kalypso: #85553

Lial
Desconectado/a
Messenger
se unió: Dic 18 2007

Szark,

I'd start with free utilities to see if you can use them to brighten dark screenshots to your satisfaction, then think about licensing a less expensive alternative to Photoshop, such as Adobe Photoshop Elements or one of the many shareware products that are available.

Lial

KI# 115132

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Are yes Lial I had fogotten about Elements. Thanks for reminding me.
I used to do alot of photo related stuff on my win95/98 machine but since then I have had alot of personal problems and I have lost most of what I used to know. I am starting over again and it just confuses me when the same pic looks dark in M/soft pic gallery but lighter in IrfanView. arhhhhhhhhh Deep breathes........

I will get there eventually.

Tale care

kaeebonrai
Imagen de kaeebonrai
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ene 20 2008

You.. might want to try The GIMP. (GNU Image Manipulation Program (

http://gimp.org/

))
Its a good, completely free alternative to photoshop. Some things are a bit different, but, it can be used just as well.

(A derivative of GIMP (from the same codebase) is actually used for production video, in some studios, iirc.)

EDIT: are there any Jack-of-all-trades jobs for the guild itself around, at the moment? =)

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

What I meant by the Jack of all trades approach is to participate in the projects you want without being define by the organization who started the project. If you read all the forum, you'll see several projects brought up but being on hiatus due to a lack of people involved in it. Doing a quick scan of the forums, here are the threads that talked about such projects. If you find one that interest you just reply in the thread. ;) You should be able to see the private part of the forum right now(Affiliate section) If not, tell me.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=81

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39

The jobs on the first page can also be these temporary jobs if you want. The organizations should accept your help anyway. And you might find yourself doing several things in an organization... Anyway, based on your interests and skills, I'd think the CCN and the TCT would be great for you.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Just like to say a big thank you to those have given advice and tried to help me to take better pictures for the website. I have got a handle on things now regarding software. I PMed stellaflora from the TCT. Fraps is the answer I think for the future.

I really would like to know if I am doing the right thing??? Pleeese I have got a load to send and I don't want to take anymore if they are no good. I do realise that we all have real life stuff to attend to and different time zones and so on. If I could just have a quick answer to put my mind at rest. Am I being to pushy, if I am I apologise. I am just eager and thrilled to be doing something for the GoMe.

Veralun Wrote:

Quote:
Also it would be nice if you can share your pictures with others.
At CCN we set up a gallery which we offer you to use when you want.
Have a look here
You can set up your own gallery. If you need help with that just shout.

Shout :lol: I went to the gallery but cound't find the register link. I could do with your help Veralun when your not busy.

Off now to play making a animation from some of the pics I took of Kirel....
Take care

blutec
Imagen de blutec
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ene 15 2008
Lial wrote:
Gadwin Printscreen is another very good, free, utility for making screenshots with Windows or Vista. You can find it here. We use Gadwin Printscreen to take screenshots for the Guild of Greeters documents, saving them in .png format.
For MacOS, I use SnapzPro - not free, unfortunately.
Lial

How's this for mac? lifehacker on Skitch (free, mac-only)

maybe a bit off-topic: how will effect in-game-graphicssettigs your pics (ScrnPrt as well as KI)? whats the best setting for newspics? i can imagine some settings lack high contrast, and sometimes you want to be everything smooth?

grtz, blutec

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

A late clarification...

Kalypso wrote:
Marten: He is a member of the CCN and also in charge of The Great Tree(an explorer organization).

I am an affiliate of CCN, and a member of The Great Tree. 8)

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

LOL
Sorry Marten. Titles in the Uru community are a tricky thing. Thanks for correcting me.

Lial
Desconectado/a
Messenger

I may be able to do calendar posts at the GoMe website after April 4, since the Guild is short handed and I am a member of Relayer Corps. What events to you think will have to be put on it? Sounds like meetings of the GoW. What else? I will be out of town and away from computers from April 18 to 29, but should be near computers at other times.

I will be giving up my duties as GoG community calendar keeper. Mysterium, Mystralia and the meeting of the German Myst community are already posted there, though details will have to be added. I'll do what I can in that area before I leave for vacation on April 18.

Lial

KI# 115132

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

Thanks for the update, Lial.

I understand that previous suggestions to use a single calendar system between the GoMe and GoG were nixed because the GoG were concerned about security issues. I can understand that, but I feel like we shouldn't have let the issue settle at that point.

The benefit of a distributed calendar system would be that people who want to publicize events only have to do it once, and distribution of the news (like our RSS feed) would be automatic. That is a much better solution than having someone such as Lial copying events back and forth between two calendars, manually synchronizing them, or worse yet, telling everyone they need to enter the data into multiple calendars themselves.

I still think we could work out a solution that is read-only from our side of things; if the GoG calendar could distribute updates through a documented RSS feed interface or some similar method, and we had a calendar that could read those updates and automatically add/delete entries to keep up to date with the GoG's system, that would be good for everyone. If the GoG does not want to explore a solution such as this, maybe the GoMe can look for and implement their own system, and perhaps in time we'll develop enough trust among the other guilds that people will want to use our implementation. I can't see the future... but I do know the status quo is guaranteed to remain unless we create an opportunity for change.

Perhaps a good project for someone in the GoMe is to do a technology investigation, and see what open source solutions already exist. A system that combines a normal RSS feed for announcements along with a calendaring system, along with "channels" so that users can filter which categories of data they're interested in, would be very tempting. Ideally, I envision a system that permits events to be added either "publically" (distributed to all sites that read the calendar feed) or "privately" (local to only one site). For security, all sites could direct users to enter "public" events on a single "hub" site, and all other calendars would fetch the public data from the central hub.

Lial
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Calendar sharing is beyond my area of expertise and I have no interest in pursuing it. Blade Lakem seems to get the information from the GoG calendar for the Myst Embassy website. The formatting isn't pretty, but the essential information is there. I use a local time tag at GoG to make it easier for people to know event starting times. When I realized that Blade's site didn't pick up that information I started providing start times as KI Time in addition to using the local time tag. So sharing at some level is already possible without special arrangement (that I know of, anyway). Follow up on sharing, if there is interest, probably should be with Ja'de in PM at the GoG forum.

Lial

KI# 115132

shimmerillion
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Marten, yes we tried and tried to get a calendar sharing system with the GoG, but I don't think they have anyone over there with the interest/knowledge to do so. However, Lial has been kind enough to allow us to share their events (even though the input had to be manual).

I'm using a Google calendar for the GoMe calendar because it was easy and fast. It can also be embedded in ANYBODY's site by simply posting some code - I'd love it if all the Guilds wanted to post the calendar on their sites. Another neat feature is that anyone with a personal Google calendar can add events from our calendar to their calendar. The only downside is that external people have to ask us to post the event, rather than it being automatic.

Here is a visual explanation of the sharing that I made awhile back for the non-technical:

http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/images/howcalendarworks.jpg

Lial, I'd love for you to post directly to the GoMe calendar. If you'd like to help out by updating regularly, I can PM you the login. Otherwise just let Lynnutte or me know what to add. :D

Shimmerillion | KI 01204798 | rel.to/gome

blutec
Imagen de blutec
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ene 15 2008

not the right forum to make this point (for i don't have to convince you why use G-cal): but please continue with the Google cal and keep on trying convincing the other Guilds, it is the best option for those (like me) not in KI-timezone, the Gcal does the trick for me, and i can see if some is conflicting with my personal and work calendar.

grtz, blutec

shimmerillion
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Yes, that is another super useful feature. I am timezone challenged and Google cal converts the KI time to my local time.

Shimmerillion | KI 01204798 | rel.to/gome

BladeLakem
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 1 2007

I would publicize the fact that it's a Google calendar - I use Google Calendar for other things and it's very nice.

As for what I have, I just grabbed the RSS feed from the calendar. It's a little flakey at times, and I'm not sure if it's the calendar or my software. If calendar keeping moves to Google Calendar, I hope to find some way of adding it to my RSS feed, assuming I keep it up.

As for calendar events, I can see it being for any sort of events that may be important to the community: events on other games (SL, There,or such). Guild and other organization meetings. Important D'ni dates. Face-to-face meetings, etc. I just think that to make the calendar relevant, it'll need to be updated regulalrly.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

The GOMe needs reporters. Anyone who watches the URU and Cyan related forums. If you find anything worth reporting, please write up a short news piece about it, include links to the where you found the story, send it to us and we will include it in the next newsletter. You will of course get credit for writing the story. Or if you are not the writing type, let us know about the story, send us the links and we will write it. The fist one to get the story to us will get credit in the newsletter for it. :D

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
se unió: Mar 1 2008

re: refugees

After reading this post at the Guild of Maintainers it came to my mind that Nynaveve would be a good reporter-contact from the "There" game.

Post at GoMa:

http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum ... 5175#p5175

Should one of our Chair persons contact Nynaveve ?

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

I think that would be nayrms job. He's the reporters chairperson. :D If not, then I think that job would fall to me as editor of the newspaper.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Jun 19 2008

Shorah everyone :D

My friend Nanouk have just told me that you were looking for people here :)
Well, first of all let me introduce myself:
I'm in the Uru Community since February 17th 2006 when I discovered Until Uru. Since then I've been active in the Community, especially on the Italian side, and I made some D'ni lessons about many topics (d'ni history, post-D'ni history, pre-D'ni History, theory of linking, Ages history). And that covered the time between then and now. :)
I made the Italian translation for the Prologue Documentaries of The Great Tree, too.
When the Guilds were announced I've been one of the first to meet in the GoMa topic on MOUL forums to create the Guild and I'm still a happy member of it. :D

Well, let's go to the reason I'm posting here:
I've seen your announcement and I'd be happy to be the translator for the Italian language, if you need one.
I just have a couple of questions:
Are other knowledge (beside knowing English and Italian) or programs needed in order to do this work?
And, does being a member of the GoMa create any problem?

Nanouk wrote:
After reading this post at the Guild of Maintainers it came to my mind that Nynaveve would be a good reporter-contact from the "There" game.

Post at GoMa:

http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum

... 5175#p5175

Should one of our Chair persons contact Nynaveve ?

The GoMa has a There Ambassador who takes care of every thing that happens in There related to the GoMa and sometimes not only, he's Stejovis. If you need any information on what's going on There I suggest to ask him.

:D -Leo

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a

Welcome to the Guild of Messengers old friend Leonardo.

I see that you already taken root in our forums. :mrgreen:

Leonardo wrote:
Shorah everyone :D
And, does being a member of the GoMa create any problem?

:D -Leo

As for being a member of another Guild, it does not matter at all. In fact it is a great asset. Some members here belong to from anywhere 1-10 Guilds. :lol:

I do know that you will be much appreciated at our Guild, like you have been everywhere else.

Shorah,
Nanouk

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Welcome Leonardo to the GoMe and thank you for popping along. To answer your question of

Quote:
Are other knowledge (beside knowing English and Italian) or programs needed in order to do this work?

At the moment there could be two possibilities. One we could do with translating the annoucments of the GoMe Newsletter and The Archiver from (TCT) The Carven Today. See links for example.

http://forum.auroraproject.net/viewtopi ... 09138aeb6d

http://forum.auroraproject.net/viewtopi ... b12349cf45

and the second, is well, I don't want to say, not befre I consult another GoMe menber first. But no you don't need any programs I can PM you the info, that is no problem.

Take care
Szark

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

Welcome Leonardo! Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

On a personal note ....... PLEASE TRANSLATE THE GOMe NEWSLETTER! PLEASE!!!!!! I'm begging, please!

Seriously, we need a beg emote. lol

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

I wrote:

Quote:
and the second, is well, I don't want to say, not before I consult another GoMe menber first

Lynnutte wrote:

Quote:
On a personal note ....... PLEASE TRANSLATE THE GOMe NEWSLETTER! PLEASE!!!!!! I'm begging, please!

and I didn't have to PM you Lynnutte. Great minds think a like but....ooo I can't remember the rest.

But yes Leonardo this was the second possibility.

Szark

Gbadji
Desconectado/a

Hi everybody,

To introduce myself, I can say, I'm not an old member of the URU community, I join you one year ago. Now I'm learning the Art and with french speaker friends I'm wrinting an age. So I'm also a member of the Guild of Writers, like some others I had read here.

I have heard you are looking for some french contacts in some forums. I can help, no, I want to help.
I can make a link with the Mystpedia forum (Eden Gira is already taken bye Nanouk -- thanks to him).

As you can see, my english is not so good that I can wrote a lot, so, please, forget me to write in the news letter ;) but I can make translation.

Thanks for your allready done work.
See you soon.

Nothing to do except a dream, see you soon in the City.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

Good! :D
Translating the Newsletter shouldn't be a problem (I'm used to the 12 pages of scripts for the Great Tree Videos :P ), nor the announcements. I'm happy to be useful :D
Just let me know when the things are ready and I'll translate :D
/me prepares the English Dictionary
LOL

Leo

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a

Welcome-Bienvenue to the Guild of Messengers Gbadji.

With time helping, I am certain you will be able to help us a lot.

Before Szark jumps in, we are looking for somebody to translate the June Newsletter in french.

The letter is available for dowload at this link...

http://www.filedropper.com/gomenewsletter-june2008

I hope that the persons working on the Newsletter will tell you where/whom to send your translation

Salut, Merçi et A+++
Nanouk

P.S.
Question: are you a member of the Uruberlus site ?

Gbadji
Desconectado/a
(Crier)_Nanouk wrote:
The letter is available for dowload at this link... I hope that the persons working on the Newsletter will tell you where/whom to send your translation

I take it :) and as Leonardo I have to find my dictionary.

(Crier)_Nanouk wrote:
Question: are you a member of the Uruberlus site ?

Not yet but I have another reason to join them, so I will be able quickly to establish a link with them also.

Merci à toi Nanouk.

See you soon.

Nothing to do except a dream, see you soon in the City.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a

A big, big, big thank you to Gbadli (a "she") and to Leonardo (a magi :mrgreen: ).

The GoMe is going to roll........rock'n'roll.

Ciao.